top bar, menu bar, panel or top panel

Hannie Dumoleyn lafeber-dumoleyn2 at
Wed Jul 11 14:01:31 UTC 2012

With more reactions coming in, I think "menu bar" is the favorite now.
The explanation that this bar holds mainly menu's is a valid one. With 
the term "top bar" one refers to the location of the bar (at the top of 
the screen), while the term "menu bar" says more about the contents of 
the bar.
@manual team: if we agree on "menu bar", we can start using this term in 

Op 11-07-12 04:46, Jeremy Bicha schreef:
> On 10 July 2012 04:49, Hannie Dumoleyn <lafeber-dumoleyn2 at> wrote:
>> As a member of the ubuntu manual team I started a discussion on how we
>> should call this "thing" at the top of our screen.
>> As a translator of the official Ubuntu documentation (yelp) I noticed that
>> the word "panel" had been changed to "menu bar" in the Precise version.
>> I would like to discuss this with people from ubuntu-translators and
>> ubuntu-docs as well.
>> Let me know what you think.
> The official Ubuntu term is "menu bar". Besides the official Ubuntu
> documentation, this can be found in multiple places in System Settings
> such as "Show battery status in the menu bar".
> The GNOME documentation calls the similar space in GNOME Shell "top bar".
> Personally, I like the "menu bar" name as the top of the screen
> includes application menus, application status menus, and system
> status menus. The only part that isn't a menu is the window management
> buttons (close, minimize, maximize) and the app title.
> Thanks for asking as clear and consistent word choices are important!
> Jeremy

More information about the ubuntu-translators mailing list