How to best get translations for new source tarball?

Francesco Fumanti francesco.fumanti at gmx.net
Fri Feb 17 18:49:50 UTC 2012

Hi,

Onboard is the on-screen keyboard shipping by default with Ubuntu; its code is hosted on Launchpad and it is set to use the Ubuntu Translators with a Structured policy for its translations.

Thus, for each series, there are two sets of translations available: the translations of the Upstream Project [1] and the translations of the source package in Ubuntu [2].

[1] https://translations.launchpad.net/onboard/0.97/+translations
[2] https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+sources/onboard/+translations

Enabling sharing always means that the translations of [1] will be forwarded to [2], but never from [2] to [1]; could you please confirm that it is correct?

Moreover, setting Onboard to use the Ubuntu Translators specifies that [1] should be translated by the Ubuntu Translators; it is not a setting for [2] correct?

Though I assume that [2] is also always translated by the Ubuntu Translators; correct?

When I look now at [1] and [2] that were recently created, I notice that there are new translations in [2] and not in [1]. Thus, does it make any sense in this project to consider the translations done in [1]?

Assuming that I have to release a tarball, how should I know whether to use the translations from [1] or [2]? Would it make sense to do the following: create a new po file for each language from [1] and [2] with the following rule: get the translations from [2] and for the strings that have no translations in [2], use the translations in [1] if they exist. (I assume that the translations in [2] are more trustworthy than the translations in [1] as they are prepared to be shipped in the Ubuntu language packs.) Could you tell me the command to do that operation if it exist and if it makes sense doing it?

Or more generally, what is the best procedure to get translations when I have to release a new source tarball? I am not asking about how to download the two available sets; I know the download links on the translation page of the series. I am asking how I should proceed to have a good translation set to include into the source tarball.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

Francesco

PS: The old feisty series is still linked to trunk and there is no button to unlink it next to the sentence with that information on launchpad. The other series however do have a button to unlink them from the corresponding upstream series. Could you please tell me what I can do to unlink it?
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/feisty/+source/onboard/+sharing-details