late addition of strings in update-notifier

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Sat Apr 7 04:30:33 UTC 2012

Dear translators,

Let me open with an apology.  We are well past string freeze, yet here I am
coming to you to let you know that I am introducing new strings into the
default desktop.

In my defense, I think we have a good reason for it;
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/876298 is a critical bug that causes Ubuntu
installations to fail if you choose ubuntu-restricted-extras at install time
and there is any sort of network problem downloading the extra software.
Since the only way to effectively fix this is by adding out-of-band handling
for data downloads, we need an out-of-band way to let users know if the
download has failed; and this inevitably requires new strings.  However,
these new strings will only show when the download has failed - and they
will be shown *instead of* the user getting a failed install.

So on balance, I think untranslated pop-ups that the user can usually safely
ignore are better than translated pop-ups informing you that the install has
failed.  The release team agrees with me, and I hope you do too.

Still, I apologize for the lateness of this change.  We've known about this
bug since 11.10's release, and more should have been done to get the fix in
sooner.

In any case, the consequence here is that there are new strings for
translation in the update-notifier package.  Since these translations are
for .desktop-style files within the package, if you want to have these
translated for 12.04.0, the translations must be available by the
NonLanguagePackTranslationDeadline, which is this coming Tuesday.

We should be able to include updates with further translations as an SRU
following 12.04's release.

Thanks,