Unclear lenght restrictions on translations

Redmar redmar at ubuntu-nl.org
Fri Apr 6 10:37:26 UTC 2012

Hello translators,

A number of programs don't work well with translations that are larger
than the English original, leading to truncated translations in the
interface.

I've filed bugs for the following programs, but the fixes probably won't
land for Precise. I would therefore advice all of you to check if the
same bugs occur for your language, and if possible change the
translations to work around them.

Gnome control center, length restriction of 13 characters for a single
word: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk+3.0/+bug/819994

Ubuntu one control panel, 17 characters total for the connect/disconnect
button. 18 characters single word restriction for the description field
above the button:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-control-panel/+bug/946626

Unity help overlay (hold down super/windows key), 22 character
restriction for the key combination column, and 42 character restriction
for the description:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/975018

If you know of more programs that have this problem, please reply here
so we can all try to fix the translations.

Redmar
--
Ubuntu Dutch Translators