About ubufox translation

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 20 16:05:38 UTC 2011

El dv 17 de 06 de 2011 a les 15:33 +0800, en/na Tseng, Cheng-Chia va
escriure:
> We have known that ubuntu uses "ubufox" extension for Firefox.
>
> Now the translation way is:
> First, we grab the code [1] and extract them, then go into "Locale" folder.
> Second, look for "en-US" folder and use it as template to create our
> translation.
> Third, create a bug report and upload your "xx-XX" compressed file.
>
> ***But after I created a bug report[2] for zh-TW translation more than
> a year ago, the bug is just keep pending now.***
>
> I think that we should do something for this situation.
> And we should ask those languages which do not have translations now
> to finish them together, and handle them at once.
> Any other ideas?
>
> 1. https://code.launchpad.net/ubufox (you can use "bzr branch
> lp:ubufox" command to get a copy)
> 2. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+bug/542046
>
> --
> Sincerely,
> by Cheng-Chia Tseng

Hi Cheng-Chia,

Thanks for the heads up on the ubufox translation. The bug you mention
is about to be fixed, btw ;)

In terms of your question on what to do in these cases, my suggestion is
always to bring it up and talk to the people responsible for maintaining
the package.

But always in respectful terms. We're an Open Source project, so if a
bug that's important to you does not get the attention you think it
deserves, rather than saying "why hasn't this been fixed in a year?",
it's much more effective to say "what can I do to help getting this
fixed?".

People do get busy though, maintainers have got a lot of bugs to tend to
and sometimes they might become unresponsive or might be working on
higher priority bugs, but you can always try to contact them.

So here are some things you can do (I realise this is no longer
necessary, I'm just mentioning it to answer your question):

      * Bring up the subject on the translators mailing list
      * Contact the developers and ask them if they can look at the bug.
        You can talk to them on IRC at #ubuntu-mozillateam, or through
        e-mail. Here's info on how to get in touch:
        https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MozillaTeam

For the record, the latter is what I've been doing ever since you
mentioned it to me at some point, and I've been asking the maintainers
to look at it on #ubuntu-mozillateam, which have now found time to merge
your branch (which is great!).

I also realise that ubufox is an exception in the way we translate other
applications in Ubuntu, and that it might be more difficult to provide
translations, but that's the best way we can make it translatable now,
and this list is always open to help anyone who's got questions or needs
help.

I like your idea of making a call for translations. Right now these are
the available languages for Ubunfox:

dpm at avenc:/tmp/ubufox$ ls -1 locale/
af-ZA
ar
bg
ca
cs-CZ
de-DE
el-GR
en-AU
en-CA
en-GB
en-US
es
eu
fi-FI
fr
gl-ES
hu-HU
it-IT
ja
lt-LT
nl-NL
pl-PL
pt
pt-BR
ro
ru-RU
sl-SI
sv-SE
uk
zh-CN
zh-TW

That makes 31 languages, and we should definitely aim to make this list
grow.

For everyone not on this list, here's how to translate ubufox into your
language:

      * In case it's not installed on your system, install bzr with the
        following command: 'sudo apt-get install bzr'
      * Get the ubufox source by running this command: 'bzr branch
        lp:ubufox'
      * Change directory to the ubufox locale folder by running this
        command: 'cd ubufox/locale'
      * Create a new translation for your language based on en-US by
        running this command: 'cp en-US ll-CC' NOTE: substitute 'll' by
        your language code, and add the CC part (country code) only if
        necessary.
      * Substitute all English messages by messages in your language
      * Commit the changes with 'bzr commit'. The command will ask you
        for a commit message before proceeding, and you can add
        something along the lines of "Committed translation for
        <your-language-here>"
      * Push your changes to Launchpad by running the command: 'bzr push
        lp:~<yourlaunchpadid>/ubufox/<thenameofyourbranch>'
      * Go to https://code.launchpad.net/people/+me and click on your
        branch in Launchpad
      * Click on the "Propose for merging" link and follow the
        instructions to request your translation branch to be added.

Cheers,