LibreOffice and gettext migration project idea

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 24 16:28:34 UTC 2011

Hi translators,

In one of the sessions this past UDS we talked about gettext support in
LibreOffice, and I took an action to give you a heads up about this
proposal, in case any of you with development skills would like to
explore it.

Migrating the custom translation format inherited from OpenOffice.org to
gettext was proposed as a Google Summer of Code (GSoC) idea for
LibreOffice a while ago.

If you are interested, you'll find more information here:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Gsoc/Ideas#Translations_using_gettext

Looking at the timeline below, it seems that it'd be too late to pick it
up as a project for the current GSoC, but there is no reason for anyone
to look into it outside of a GSoC project.
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/GSoc

I'm adding Björn Michaelsen, our current LibreOffice maintainer on CC,
as he might be able to better answer questions that you might have.

Cheers,