Status of the Ubuntu Docs in Natty+Oneiric

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 14 08:23:09 UTC 2011

El dj 14 de 07 de 2011 a les 09:38 +0200, en/na Hannie va escriure:
> Op 13-07-11 11:29, David Planella schreef:
> > El ds 09 de 07 de 2011 a les 11:16 +0100, en/na Matthew East va
> > escriure:
> >> Hi,

> >> The latter position is correct. The strings currently used in
> >> gnome-user-docs (natty) will be present in the ubuntu-docs package
> >> (oneiric), although updates will be made to reflect changes to the
> >> software as between natty and oneiric. For now it is worth translating
> >> gnome-user-docs (natty) because updates will be shipped to this
> >> package. Do not translate any oneiric documentation, it is too early
> >> in the release and these strings may change.
> >>
> >> The gnome-user-docs (oneiric) package will contain the upstream
> >> documentation and will be used for gnome-shell (not installed by
> >> default).
> Resuming what you say here, I come to the following conclusion:
> 1. gnome-user-docs (natty): the finished part of our translation will be
> presented to the users of Natty/Unity when pressing F1 on the desktop;
> this will take effect as from July 21, the date of the next update.
> 2. In Oneiric/Unity the package "ubuntu-docs (=F1)" (previously known as
> gnome-user-docs) will contain these translated strings, together with
> additional strings specific to Oneiric. These templates will appear in
> Launchpad after the documentation string freeze.
> 3. In Oneiric the package "gnome-user-docs" will be used for the
> gnome-shell (to be installed by users who prefer Gnome instead of Unity)
> >> About half the strings in gnome-user-docs (natty) come from
> >> gnome-user-docs upstream, so it is worth uploading the translations.
> This would mean that the translation of the Launchpad document is only
> partly suitable for other distributions. What will happen to the strings
> specific to Ubuntu when I upload the Launchpad document to Gnome-nl?
> Will they automatically be ignored?
> >> No, this will be dropped in Oneiric. This is documentation for the
> >> ubuntu-classic desktop, which is present in Natty, but not in Oneiric.
> >>
> > Hi Matthew,
> >
> > I know we're not yet in documentation string freeze, but many people
> > tend to start translating regardless, and I'd like to minimize the waste
> > of effort. To be clear, although discouraged, it's up to the translators
> > themselves to decide whether they want to translate at this point.
> I can only speak for the Dutch team: after Matthew warned us NOT to
> start with the Oneiric translation of ubuntu-docs/gnome-user-docs, we
> sticked to the translation of gnome-user-docs Natty. But we do hope most
> of the translated strings from Natty will we transferred to Oneiric.
> >   There
> > is not much we or the docs team can do to avoid that.
> Apart from removing the templates from LP ;)

That's correct, but in general, I don't favour disabling templates from
Launchpad to stop people from translating them. Disabling templates
should only be done for templates which have become obsolete and will no
longer appear in the distribution.

Disabling templates temporarily to hide them from translators requires a
double manual effort: disabling and enabling them at some point again.
When the number of templates treated this way increases, the risk of
forgetting re-enabling them increases too.

Regards,
David.

--
David Planella