Translations talk at the Ubuntu Developer Week in a few hours

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 13 13:55:53 UTC 2011

Hi translators,

Just a quick heads up about the talk I'll be doing in a couple of hours
as part of the Ubuntu Developer Week:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDeveloperWeek/Timetable

It's called "Getting Translations Quicker into Launchpad: Upstream
Imports Sharing", and here's a short abstract:

"Launchpad has had a new cool feature for a while now: upstream imports
sharing. With this, the translations of supported upstream projects are
imported into Launchpad and shared (think of it as "linked") with the
translations of Ubuntu source packages. This results in faster and
regular import times of upstream translations, and makes life much
easier for Ubuntu translators. David will tell you all about this new
feature and how it can help developers and translators"

I'm working on a community effort to enable sharing for all supported
projects, of which I've created a list here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/Projects/LaunchpadUpstreamImports

In the next few days I'll remove some of the redundant information on
the table to make it more readable.

The main intention is to enable sharing by filling the following fields
in the table and then asking the project owners to change them in the
actual project:

      * Translations usage
      * Translations permissions
      * Translations group
      * Translations import mode

My recommendation for these values would be the following:

Projects with external translations (translations usage = external):
• Translations permissions: Closed
• Translations group: does not matter
• Translations import mode: templates + translations

Projects with translations in Launchpad (translations usage =
launchpad):
• Translations Permissions: Restricted
• Translations group: Launchpad Translators/Ubuntu Translators
• Translations Import mode: templates only

I'll announce it in more detail in the next following days. At this
point I just want to get the word out and ask for your help in filling
the table when it's ready.

If you've got any questions, feel free to ask!

Thanks!

Regards,
David.

--