Status of the Ubuntu Docs in Natty+Oneiric

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 13 12:37:17 UTC 2011

El dc 13 de 07 de 2011 a les 11:46 +0100, en/na Matthew East va
escriure:
> On 13 July 2011 10:40, David Planella <david.planella at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > On "Export translations to branch" on the right:
> >      * Choose a branch where to automatically commit the translations.
> >      * I'd recommend the main branch of the series for a more automated
> >        workflow, but you can also choose a separate branch for
> >        translations and manually merge it from time to time.
>
> I tried the first approach briefly but it resulted in absolutely
> enormous diffs on a daily basis to the branch, which will cause a huge
> revision history and massively increase the download for people to get
> the branch revision history.

In principle it should only be a big diff when there is translation
activity, as commits should only happen for PO files the translations of
which have been changed in Launchpad.

Looking at
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-doc/ubuntu-docs/natty/changes/647?start_revid=647

I would have expected only a few PO files being auto-committed instead
of most of them. So I'm wondering if we're hitting
https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/490668 again, making it worse
because ubuntu-docs has got lots of templates.

But, yeah, I fully understand the concern.

> We might try using a separate branch for translations and manually
> merging, but it probably does not add too much to downloading and
> adding the translations manually.

I think it should still be easier. My hunch is that there are more
people familiar with merging a (translations) branch with trunk than
with requesting an export of translations and knowing what to do with
them (which is also much slower than merging).

Regards,
David.

--
David Planella