gutenprint template importance

Gabor Kelemen kelemeng at gnome.hu
Fri Apr 15 12:26:55 UTC 2011

> Are there any tips about where to look for gutenprint messages in the
> UI?

Open the Printing preferences window, open the settings of a configured
printer, and choose the Printer settings tab. The content of that page
comes from gutenprint.

However, there is a "small" problem here. Gutenprint uses po files, not
mo files (btw, cups too). The po files are shipped in the
gutenprint-locales package, and our mo files in the langpacks make no
difference wrt the translation status. So unless we can ship po files in
langpacks, and currently we can't, there is no point in exposing this
template to Ubuntu translators. See:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gutenprint/+bug/415452

The only thing that makes sense is translating the template, and sending
back the po file to upstream, which is here:
http://translationproject.org/domain/gutenprint.html

Regards
Gabor Kelemen