[ubuntu-web] Announcing the Ubuntu.com Website Localization Project

Stas Sușcov stas at nerd.ro
Thu Mar 18 16:43:03 UTC 2010

În data de Jo, 18-03-2010 la 11:26 -0500, Matthew Nuzum a scris:
> (would you include ubuntu-website at lists.canonical.com in replies? I'll
> make sure your messages get through)
>
> It shows en-us on my PC but my preferred lang is en-gb.

Did you get the same result by using the php tool[1] provided by Jamal?

> What we're looking for should look something like: en-gb, en-us;q=0.8,
> en;q=0.5
>
> I agree that geoip is not a good solution because I really dislike how
> some of my favourite websites change to a different language when I'm
> in a different country. I wish I could magically learn Spanish simply
> by visiting Spain for a few days. :-)

I mentioned geoip cause it can be a solution in some cases. I know guys
that use Ubuntu in english, though their're from Romania/Russia/Moldova.

Also, I'm not sure, but only tools based on geoip can offer (in some
cases) real location of the user which matters for some state based
countries like Germany and USA (say CA would like to offer a different
homepage than MA when they're planing a party) :)

So I believe now we got choices which was the reason of our
brainstorming :)

[1]: http://redterminal.com/ubuntu-localization/

--
()  Campania Panglicii în ASCII