Announcing the Ubuntu.com Website Localization Project

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Thu Mar 18 16:26:14 UTC 2010

(would you include ubuntu-website at lists.canonical.com in replies? I'll make
sure your messages get through)

It shows en-us on my PC but my preferred lang is en-gb.

What we're looking for should look something like: en-gb, en-us;q=0.8,
en;q=0.5

I agree that geoip is not a good solution because I really dislike how some
of my favourite websites change to a different language when I'm in a
different country. I wish I could magically learn Spanish simply by visiting
Spain for a few days. :-)

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Eivar Montenegro Mosquera <
e.mont01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good day,
>

>>> Regarding client side `HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE`:
>>> try this in your browser:
>>> ---
>>> javascript:alert(navigator.language);
>>> ---
>>> worked for chromium and ff.
>>>
>> Do not work for ie 8, it shows a message "undefined".
>>
>> This script works on internet explorer 8 and firefoxf 3.6
>     var userLang = (navigator.language) ? navigator.language :
> navigator.userLanguage;
>     alert ("The language is: " + userLang);
>
> a reference link:
> http://www.javascriptkit.com/javatutors/navigator.shtml
>
> --
> Eivar A. Montenegro. M.
> ¡El mundo es mejor cuando eres libre de elegir!
> Linux user: #461766

Matthew Nuzum