Launchpad messing with the translaions?

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Wed Mar 17 22:05:20 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 01:08:37PM +0100, David Planella wrote:
> Hi Khaled
>
> El dt 16 de 03 de 2010 a les 13:21 +0200, en/na Khaled Hosny va
> escriure:
> > While working on Lucid translation, I'm seeing many weird things (that
> > is, above the usual launchpad weirdness level).
> >
> > * indicator-session containing translations we didn't approve, I've bee
> >   told that those came from the 'upstream' launchpad project, and that I
> >   should translate it there. But, the "upstream" has no translations
> >   available!
> >   https://translations.launchpad.net/indicator-session
>
> I cannot actually remember it right now, but it could have been that the
> upstream project was open for translations for a while, and that the
> permissions were set to Open. That might have been the problem.
>
> We try hard to let developers know about translation permissions [1],
> and recommend using Restricted or Structured permissions, but sometimes
> projects are still set up for Open translations. Whenever I see that, I
> recommend developers to change it, and I encourage translators to do it
> as well.

The problem is that one can never know about such things and we are very
likely to ship with broken translation, I don't go and re-review the
already reviewed translation for each Ubuntu release. Right now, I don't
know how many translations have been broken this way, and a full review
is not an option.

> I'm not sure who recommended you to translate upstream, but I can
> confirm what you already saw: indicator-session is only currently
> translatable by Ubuntu Translators, and the upstream project is
> currently not open for translation.

Sebastien Bacher, to him the aforementioned translations were
attributed, suggested that when I approached him about the issue.

> > * too many of the fixed translations in update-manager, that we fixed in
> >   earlier releases, were reverted to the old, buggy (i.e. causing
> >   software crashes!) translations, the corrections are available as
> >   suggestion though!
> >

> I'm not sure what happened there. I know that Michael (mvo), the update
> manager developer, exports translations from Launchpad from time to
> time, but the upstream update-manager has no translation template
> exposed.
>
> You might already have corrected the invalid translations, but could you
> point us to them (or just paste here the correct and incorrect ones), so
> that it is possible to track this and we can submit a bug if necessary?

Here are some examples:
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/update-manager/+pots/update-manager/ar/242/+translate
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/update-manager/+pots/update-manager/ar/243/+translate

The 'packaged' are the wrong ones (will crash the application) and were
originally fixed several months ago.

Regards,
 Khaled

--