Translator/reviewer mode in Launchpad Translations

Ask Hjorth Larsen asklarsen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 22:20:42 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 10:24 PM, Hannie Lafeber-Dumoleyn
<lafeber-dumoleyn2 at zonnet.nl> wrote:
> Ask Hjorth Larsen schreef:
>
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 12:23 AM, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> If you are a member of Launchpad Beta Testers team and in the same time
> you are a member of an Ubuntu translation team, you might have notice
> that on the translate page there is a new "Translator/reviewer mode".
>
> The purpose of the Translator/Reviewer mode is to help members of Ubuntu
> Translators team to implement a peer-review process as a way of assuring
> translations quality.
>
> If it is not working as you have expected, you are welcomed to give your
> feedback by replying to this email or by adding a comment on the bug
> report:
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/rosetta/+bug/525992
>

> Cheers,
>
> --
> Adi Roiban
>

> Hi
>
> This is a great feature.  After using it for a while I have one
> suggestion (if it's not too late).  In translator mode, the 'needs
> review' checkbutton will be checked if you *write* a suggestion, but
> not if you copy the English message or an existing suggestion and edit
> it.  In my opinion it would be better to always check the 'needs
> review' button in translator mode - it's a more consistent behaviour
> (so you have to think less), and you are 100% sure that you cannot
> overwrite or delete something by accident.  Are there others who have
> an opinion on this?
>
> Best regards
> Ask
>

> Hello Ask,
> Having read the explanation:
>
> Reviewer: This is the default working mode. All changes you make are
> approved automatically. If you want to make a suggestion, rather than a new
> translation, you need to manually select the Someone needs to review this
> translation check-box.
> Translator: When entering new translations, they're treated as suggestions
> that someone else needs to review. You can make a direct translation by
> deselecting the Someone needs to review this translation check-box.
>
> I come to the following conclusion: only once in a while do I use the
> Someone needs to review this translation check-box. This was the case in the
> old situation and is the same in Reviewer mode. Personally I cannot find a
> reason to choose the translator mode. Why would I want all my translations
> to be reviewed by other members of our translation team?

Well, mistakes happen.  In our team we always review translations:
Someone writes a translation, someone else proofreads it.  This is
done for all strings - if a string is so simple it doesn't need
proofreading, then it doesn't really take any time to proofread
either, so it's not a problem to just mark all of them for
proofreading.  But I guess people do it differently.

> In the old situation people who did not have full translation/review rights
> could only make suggestions which were reviewed by translators with full
> rights. I understand that, in the new situation,  they can only use the
> translator mode and are unable to deselect the Someone needs to review this
> translation check-box. Am I right?
> Hannie

The checkbox will simply not be there unless you're a member of the
ubuntu translators team, I think.  Which means suggestions only.

Best regards
Ask