Where are my translations?

Hannie Lafeber-Dumoleyn lafeber-dumoleyn2 at zonnet.nl
Wed Jun 2 08:13:41 BST 2010


Dear David and Timo,
Yes, you were right. I thought I had translated the documentation, but 
it appeared to be the GUI translations.
You say that documentation translations are done upstream (in this case 
Gnome-NL). I want to translate Empathy (doc) for Gnome-NL for a start, 
but I want to be sure it will be published in Ubuntu. It is very 
difficult to track the path from translation to publication. Which 
organization sees to it that documentation translations are published 
(in this case the translation of a Gnome application installed by 
default in Ubuntu Lucid Lynx)? Shouldn't there be a better co-operation 
between Ubuntu and Gnome/KDE?
I think that Dutch users of Ubuntu would appreciate it if they get Dutch 
translations when they look for help, especially with Gnome or KDE 
applications that are installed by default in Ubuntu.
Regards,
Hannie

David Planella schreef:
> Hi Hannie,
>
> Timo already explained everything in great detail (thanks!), so I won't
> add anything there.
>
> El dl 31 de 05 de 2010 a les 08:05 +0200, en/na lafeber-dumoleyn2 va
> escriure:
>   
>> Thank you for your answer, Timo. I had been told that the translations 
>> were committed at gnome-nl; I didn't check if that was really the case. 
>> I have forwarded this email to gnome-nl hoping they will be committed 
>> soon. I have also checked the gedit documentation on Launchpad. It said 
>> : translated 100 %.
>>     
>
> There is no gedit documentation in Launchpad. What you might have seen
> is the translation for the Gedit application:
>
> https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/gedit/+pots/gedit/nl/+translate
>
> We do not import translations of upstream documentation and expose them
> in Launchpad because we've got no infrastructure to build them. They are
> shipped 1:1 to what upstream provides. There are a couple of exceptions,
> such as the GNOME accessibility guide and the GNOME user guide, IIRC,
> but that's because we need them for ubuntu-docs.
>
>   
>>  But I still found a great deal of suggestions which 
>> I have reviewed and accepted or rejected. I'm still not sure if it is 
>> necessary to update the translation on Launchpad as well because I do 
>> not know who publishes the documentation translations and where he or 
>> she looks for them.
>> Hannie
>>
>>     
>
> In the case of non-Ubuntu documentation, it's upstream in nearly all
> cases.
>
> Regards,
> David.
>
>   
>> Op 30-05-10 18:26, Timo Jyrinki schreef:
>>     
>>> 2010/5/27 lafeber-dumoleyn2<lafeber-dumoleyn2 at zonnet.nl>:
>>>    
>>>       
>>>> As a member of the Dutch translation team I have translated the
>>>> (upstream) documentation of gedit, Empathy and Gnome-utils. In the
>>>> beginning of April I sent the .po-files to Gnome-nl, where the files
>>>> were committed.
>>>>      
>>>>         
>>> It does not look like they have been committed in either trunk or 2.30 branches:
>>> http://l10n.gnome.org/languages/nl/gnome-3-0/doc/
>>> http://l10n.gnome.org/languages/nl/gnome-2-30/doc/
>>>
>>> So it looks like gnome-nl would have messed up something in
>>> committing. If you submitted the translation via l10n.gnome.org web
>>> interface, the commit rights owner _can_ select "Committed"
>>> informational message from the menu even if he didn't actually really
>>> do the actual git commit.
>>>
>>>    
>>>       
>>>> At Gnome-nl they say it is ubuntu's responsibility to publish the
>>>> translations. But who is responsible: ubuntu-translators or ubuntu-nl?
>>>> How does it work? Should I have imported my translations in Launchpad,
>>>> or is this done automatically?
>>>>      
>>>>         
>>> Documentation is (generally) not done in Launchpad, but comes directly
>>> from upstream, automatically as part of the GNOME releases. However,
>>> since you mentioned beginning of April, another thing comes into play
>>> - GNOME 2.30 was released already in the end of March. This means that
>>> your translations should have been committed both to trunk and the
>>> 2.30 branch so that they would also be included in 2.30.1 / 2.30.2 /
>>> etc. point releases. Then one still needs to make sure Ubuntu takes
>>> those specific point releases to lucid, which is not automatic but
>>> made if eg. meaningful bug fixes - or translation fixes - are done in
>>> those point releases. Currently gnome-utils upstream has not released
>>> any point releases, but empathy and gedit have. Gedit in Ubuntu has
>>> been updated to a version from 13.4.2010 (it would thus include your
>>> translation if it was there), but not the exact point release, and
>>> empathy has seen a couple of patches but no point release update yet.
>>>
>>> That's just to explain the thing in general, of course it doesn't
>>> matter for this specific case as the translations aren't committed to
>>> GNOME anyway for some reason.
>>>
>>>    
>>>       
>>>> Will my translations appear in a language update? And if so, when?
>>>>      
>>>>         
>>> To re-iterate this more briefly: if you get the documentation
>>> translation into 2.30 branch in addition to the "master" or "trunk"
>>> development branch, it's possible to be included in lucid but does not
>>> happen automatically. There is no reason though why it couldn't be
>>> done. For example, I'm waiting if there would be a point release of
>>> gnome-bluetooth which now has Finnish documentation translation in the
>>> 2.30 branch, to ask for inclusion in Ubuntu. If it doesn't appear, I
>>> consider asking updating the gnome-bluetooth simply to the latest 2.30
>>> branch commit instead.
>>>
>>> -Timo
>>>
>>>    
>>>       
>>     
>
>
>   

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-translators/attachments/20100602/b2fb6b31/attachment.htm 


More information about the ubuntu-translators mailing list