Hi! What is better to be translated?

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 6 15:34:57 BST 2010

Hi Miro,

2010/8/6 Miro Hadzhiev <extigyro at gmail.com>:
> What is better to be translated, the package (the trunk package in
> Launchpad) or the same package in Ubuntu Lucid, Maverick and so on (that is
> to say the specific package which is going to be shipped in the next Ubuntu
> version/spin)?

As you have well noticed, for those projects hosted as upstream in
Launchpad and also shipped in Ubuntu, there are two translation
locations:

* The upstream project
* The Ubuntu source packages (one for each release)

Right now, I'd recommend translating the Ubuntu source package from
the development version, that is, for Maverick. Once you've done that,
you can also go to the upstream project and translate it. Since you
will already have done the job for Ubuntu, those translations will
appear as suggestions and you will only need to point and click to
accept them. So, while not optimal, it is really easy to keep the
projects in sync like this.

In the near future, Launchpad will do this for you and there will be
message sharing between Launchpad upstream projects and the Ubuntu
source packages (this is something the developers are actively working
on right now)

For those who are not aware: message sharing is a really cool feature
through which translated messages are shared across series. That is,
if you translate a message in Lucid, that same message will be
instantly translated in Maverick and even previous releases.

As an example of such a project hosted in Launchpad, here's simple scan:

Upstream project:
https://translations.launchpad.net/simple-scan

Ubuntu source packages:
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+sources/simple-scan/+translations