Synchronization of translations with upstream projects

Danilo Šegan danilo at canonical.com
Sat Apr 3 14:03:15 UTC 2010

Hi Krasimir,

У сре, 24. 03 2010. у 15:03 +0200, Krasimir Chonov пише:
> Maybe this question is asked many times.
>
> So is there any schedule or anything from which depends when the
> translations will be synchronized with the upstream projects. Many
> translations in GNOME on many languages are 100% ready but many of this
> string still are not synchronized with Launchpad. Are they going to be
> synchronized before the final release?

At the moment, this depends on the Ubuntu packagers and GNOME
developers: GNOME developers have to release tarballs which include
these translations, and Ubuntu packagers then have to package them into
Ubuntu. After that happens, they get into Launchpad in a day or two, and
then they appear in the next language pack update for Ubuntu.

This does include many links that can break, so we in Launchpad are
working on doing direct imports from upstream, thus eliminating the
dependency on GNOME developers and Ubuntu packagers, and shortening the
time translations get from upstream into Ubuntu (hoping it will be <1
day).  This won't be available before June though, so not for Lucid.

Cheers,
Danilo