Proposed Documentation String Freeze break - Ubuntu One, Icons

Matthew East mdke at
Mon Apr 5 18:08:36 BST 2010

Hi Milo,

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Milo Casagrande <milo at> wrote:
> Hi Matt,
> 2010/4/5 Matthew East <mdke at>:
>> I'm planning a few minor string changes to the ubuntu-docs package, as
>> set out below. Please let me know if you have any comments - the
>> changes will result in a few strings that will need to be retranslated
>> prior to the NonLangPackTranslationFreeze.
> I would really like to give a +1 one here, but the problem with this
> is the time we have left for translating it. It is not just the
> translators time, but also the time the POT file needs to get
> imported.
> I don't know if Launchpad admins can manually speed up an import, but
> the queue looks like is a little bit slow in this period: I have a
> manually imported translations that is still in the approved status
> since March 31st.

Aren't pot files prioritised in the queue ahead of po files?

> Deadline is in 10 days, so it might be not enough time.
> This is the only concern I have. If admins can push it, that would be awesome.

Let's see what they say, and then decide.

> On a side note, about the "wrong" menu path, that could be easily
> resolved by translators translating it with the correct path. The
> problem is with the C locale that you need to patch after translations
> have been exported and the xml files recreated.

I don't think this will work - although many translators are reading
this list and checking menu entries for consistency, I suspect that
quite a few will simply translate what they see in the English

> The images path shouldn't be a problem even if you patch the C locale
> before recreating the xml files: those strings shouldn't be translated
> anyway.

Ok, I wasn't aware that the image path was stripped out in the
translation process, that's good. I'll make those changes.

> As a suggestion: wouldn't it be possible to have an updated ubuntu-doc
> package like 7-15 days after the release date? I know this is not
> optimal, but in this way translators will have enough time to finish
> up the new strings.

I don't have a problem with this.

Matthew East
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF

More information about the ubuntu-translators mailing list