Getting some languages over the 80% complete level

Jono Bacon jono at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 30 20:03:33 UTC 2009

Hi All,

One of the most wonderful, and often underrated parts of the Ubuntu
community are our tremendous translators. It is these awesome
individuals that re-enforce the ethos that everyone should be able to
enjoy Ubuntu in the locale and language that is comfortable to them. Not
only that, but it is these folks that are breaking down cultural
barriers to Ubuntu adoption across the world. In many cases, when a
region or government is exploring Open Source and Free Software, the
first assessment is if it is available in their locale and language(s).

Ubuntu is already available in an impressive collection of languages
that we consider complete enough for general use. This includes
*Spanish, French, Brazilian Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, German,
English, Hungarian, Traditional Chinese, British English, Russian,
Dutch, Japanese, Bulgarian, Czech, Danish, Catalan, Korean, Polish,
Portuguese, Basque, Greek, Simplified Chinese, Slovenian, Galician* and
*Asturian*.

A good target for completeness is 80% of the distribution being fully
translated, with a particular focus on primary and visible packages.
Many of these languages are rib-ticklingly close and I would love to
encourage those of you who speak the language to help get them over the
80% barrier. These include:

  * Serbian - 79%
  * Vietnamese - 78%
  * Estonian - 75%
  * Hebrew - 73%
  * Bengali - 73%
  * Gujarati - 72%
  * Hindi - 71%
  * Turkish - 70%
  * Tamil - 69%
  * Telugu - 69%
  * Bokmål, Norwegian - 67%
  * Slovak - 66%
  * Macedonian - 64%
  * Nepali - 63%
  * Arabic - 63%
  * Dzongkha - 62%
  * Finnish - 61%
  * Breton - 60%
  * Ukrainian - 57%
  * Esperanto - 56%
  * Central Khmer - 56%
  * Norwegian Nynorsk - 55%
  * Thai - 52%
  * Panjabi - 52%
  * Lithuanian - 51%
  * Romanian - 50%

This is an awesome opportunity for the Ubuntu Global Jam
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGlobalJam) in which Ubuntu contributors
are getting together around the world to work together on Ubuntu in a
variety of ways - documentation, packaging, advocacy, bug triage,
translations and more. If you would like to help one of the above
languages (or any other language, for that matter), why not organize a
small gathering at someone's house, at a pub/restaurant, university room
or anywhere else? These jams are easy to put together, tonnes of fun and
a great way to meet other awesome Ubuntu people.

Are there translations teams on this list who could help improve these
languages?

     Jono

--
Jono Bacon