Getting some languages over the 80% complete level

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 1 10:51:47 UTC 2009

El dc 30 de 09 de 2009 a les 13:03 -0700, en/na Jono Bacon va escriure:
> Hi All,
>
> One of the most wonderful, and often underrated parts of the Ubuntu
> community are our tremendous translators. It is these awesome
> individuals that re-enforce the ethos that everyone should be able to
> enjoy Ubuntu in the locale and language that is comfortable to them. Not
> only that, but it is these folks that are breaking down cultural
> barriers to Ubuntu adoption across the world. In many cases, when a
> region or government is exploring Open Source and Free Software, the
> first assessment is if it is available in their locale and language(s).
>
> Ubuntu is already available in an impressive collection of languages
> that we consider complete enough for general use. This includes
> *Spanish, French, Brazilian Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, German,
> English, Hungarian, Traditional Chinese, British English, Russian,
> Dutch, Japanese, Bulgarian, Czech, Danish, Catalan, Korean, Polish,
> Portuguese, Basque, Greek, Simplified Chinese, Slovenian, Galician* and
> *Asturian*.
>
> A good target for completeness is 80% of the distribution being fully
> translated, with a particular focus on primary and visible packages.
> Many of these languages are rib-ticklingly close and I would love to
> encourage those of you who speak the language to help get them over the
> 80% barrier. These include:
>
>   * Serbian - 79%
>   * Vietnamese - 78%
>   * Estonian - 75%
>   * Hebrew - 73%
>   * Bengali - 73%
>   * Gujarati - 72%
>   * Hindi - 71%
>   * Turkish - 70%
>   * Tamil - 69%
>   * Telugu - 69%
>   * Bokmål, Norwegian - 67%
>   * Slovak - 66%
>   * Macedonian - 64%
>   * Nepali - 63%
>   * Arabic - 63%
>   * Dzongkha - 62%
>   * Finnish - 61%
>   * Breton - 60%
>   * Ukrainian - 57%
>   * Esperanto - 56%
>   * Central Khmer - 56%
>   * Norwegian Nynorsk - 55%
>   * Thai - 52%
>   * Panjabi - 52%
>   * Lithuanian - 51%
>   * Romanian - 50%
>
> This is an awesome opportunity for the Ubuntu Global Jam
> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGlobalJam) in which Ubuntu contributors
> are getting together around the world to work together on Ubuntu in a
> variety of ways - documentation, packaging, advocacy, bug triage,
> translations and more. If you would like to help one of the above
> languages (or any other language, for that matter), why not organize a
> small gathering at someone's house, at a pub/restaurant, university room
> or anywhere else? These jams are easy to put together, tonnes of fun and
> a great way to meet other awesome Ubuntu people.

> [...]

Hi translators,

This list is now available at:

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/ReleaseLanguages/9.10

And for those interested in the details, the calculation scripts can be
found in the Branches section of the ubuntu-translations project:

  https://code.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations

Regards,
David.

--