defaults

Tom Davies tomdavies04 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 16 13:30:22 UTC 2009

Hi all

I still find it odd that Ubuntu ships with a variety of different english; us, gb, aus etc which ensures that almost everyone has to install the additional language pack and then pick their own language.  For me it's great because i can cut some of the bloat out by simply removing the extra languages ability although i would then have to suffer with american.

If it was technically feasible to have just en_us, fr, perhaps spanish and maybe one or two others rather than all the different english versions we currently have then more people would have the sweet advantage that i currently enjoy.

There are technical reasons that would make this more complicated than is immediately obvious.  A huge change requiring a lot of work for a low priority minor issue that most people probably don't notice anyway is hardly something i can imagine people jumping on, it's just a thought about where we might want to head in a few years.

Btw, congratulations on all the hardwork people :) Jaunty 9.04 is looking great.  Also great to see a high level of commitment from an official source.  It's great to see governments actively supporting gnu/linux's but even better to see one giving support to specifically Ubuntu.  I think the whole world of computer users benefits from this as well as being a good way for government departs and the rest of the people of the country.  Perhaps i'm being far too idealistic but developing ways out of paying licencing fees to a foreign company's profit margin has got to be a good way to help the local economy and to help resist the americanisation of the world.  Diversity breeds innovation and success.

Thanks and regards all
Good luck from
Tom :)