ubuntu-langpack ppa doubts/issues

Roberto C. Morano rcmorano at emergya.es
Mon Jun 8 08:12:47 UTC 2009

Hello,

I'm part of the Guadalinex dev team and Juanje Ojeda's coworker. As you
talked about in the last UDS, we are testing the autogenerated
language-packs from this [1] ppa and we have found some errors, plus, we
have some doubts...

Firstly, we are a bit confused by the fact that these packages
(language-pack-$LANG) are empty/dummy packages in the normal versions,
every '.mo' and mozilla.tar.gz are included in
'language-pack-$LANG-base' instead of in 'language-pack-$LANG' as they
are in this ppa.
Furthermore, the amount of '.mo' in the normal '*-base' packages is
bigger than the amount in the "nobase" packages in ppa (246 vs 77).
I have checked that old versions (Intrepid series for example) had
'*-base' packages in the ppa, but they have disappeared for Jaunty.
That's what made us wonder if this is a new behaviour or just a mistake.
Could anyone answer us to this?

Lets go on with the error we've found :]
'mozilla.tar.gz'  (mozilla translation extensions) is included in this
package from the ppa and it seems not to be complete, we've found the
following things

*
'/usr/lib/firefox-addons/extensions/langpack-$LANG at firefox-3.0.ubuntu.com/chrome.manifest'

is empty

* $LANG.jar is not included

This results in having Firefox in English :]

I hope you can bring some light to this matter. Thanks in advance.

[1] https://edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-langpack/+archive/ppa

--
Roberto C. Morano
Emergya Consultoría.