Ubuntu and language packs

Surfaz Gemon Meme surfaz28 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 19:57:08 GMT 2009

2009/2/5 Loïc Martin <loic.martin3 at gmail.com>:
> Surfaz Gemon Meme wrote:
>> Firts, I don't understand why "language-support-translations-XX"
>> install a package(s) "thunderbird-locale-xx-XX" when Ubuntu don't
>> install thunderbird mail client by default...  Ubuntu uses evolution
>> as mail client, non?
> It's due to the way translations are handled in Ubuntu (and probably
> other distributions). For packages in main repositories, all program
> translations for one language are grouped in a single support package,
> which makes it easier to update translation (since the strings are
> usually translated after a program hits the repositories, else we'd be
> still waiting for two years ago programs to be 100% translated in all
> languages). It also allow fixing a lot of translations without you
> having to re-download hundreds of megabytes of programs each time you
> language goes from 91% of string translated to 92%, you just download an
> updated language pack.

Ok, thanks for your answer

>> Second, I don't understan why Ubuntu keep installed English support
>> packages when I chose other language.
> I don't have a definite 100% answer, and indeed there might be room for
> improvment, like some of the particular English a non-english speaker
> wouldn't need. As for not having _any_ English support, in your case
> you'd vouch for it because it would save you a few megabytes, but not
> everybody is like you, and even non-fluent English person (or person
> that don't speak English at all) might appreciate being able to consult
> the original strings/help files in case of a) bad or innacurate
> translation b) missing translation, or parts missing c) the need to
> report error messages in English or communicate with people that also
> use English as a common vessel. Being able to LANG=en_US my_program can
> be invaluable.

a) Launchpad -> search programa -> go to Translations or in a program,
 About -> Translate this program

b) When a translation is not complete (in gettext system), shows the
original language of the program. Which is almost always English.

c) I do not believe that a user change the language to English to
report an error. Moreover, I not believe that they know as do since
they have installed Ubuntu in language chose in installation process.

If they know English, do not need English support of Ubuntu.
If they do not know English, I do not think the English support of
Ubuntu could change something.