Operational jaunty translation import deadline

Arne Goetje arne.goetje at canonical.com
Sun Apr 12 06:02:37 BST 2009

Res wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In regards to April 16,
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LanguagePackTranslationDeadline
> has the following wording:
> "*Note:* this deadline applies to having the language packs in the
> packages archive, not the date until which translations made in
> Launchpad will make it into the final release. The turnaround time for
> getting current Launchpad translations into the actual Ubuntu archive
> is roughly a week."
>
> In this context, is there any point to rush translations at this
> point, or is it not gonna make into 9.04/jaunty CD anymore?
> If it's not too late yet:
>
> I would appreciate if somebody could enlighten me on when is the (+-5
> hours) cut-off for jaunty translation imports on launchpad? I'd
> appreciate if somebody could provide slightly more specific info on
> this, like Sunday midnight UTC, Monday noon UTC, etc.

After discussion with our release manager, the deadline is now set to
Monday, 13. April 22:00 UTC.

The original plan was to do the final export from Rosetta on Friday
17th. However, the current export (started on Friday 22:00) is still
running, so the time to produce the langpacks would take too long to
make it into Jaunty. Therefor we just decided to put the cut-off to
Monday 22:00 UTC.

> P.S. Also, with regards to iso-codes:
> will translations, etc. in 3.8 (4/2/2009), or 3.7 (3/8/2009) upstream
> release make into jaunty?
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/iso-codes still shows only 3.6, and
> since it became known that iso-codes won't use launchpad only this
> week, would upgrading it to 3.7 be something that might justify a
> freeze break?

I have asked the release managers, but didn't receive any answer yet.
So, I would expect it not to happen. But you may be lucky.

We are in preparation for the RC, right now.

Cheers
Arne