Ubuntu Translations Coordinator

David Planella david.planella at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 2 12:39:31 BST 2009

Hi all,

as announced by Jono on his blog [1] (and now on my brand new one as
well ;) [2]), I'll be joining Canonical as the Ubuntu Translations
Coordinator on Monday the 6th of April (next week), so I simply wanted
to send a brief introductory message before starting in full swing on
Monday.

Some of you might already know me from this list as an Ubuntu
translator and coordinator of the Catalan team [3]. I am also actively
involved in upstream translations [4], especially in GNOME, Debian,
the Translation Project and OpenOffice, which will certainly assist me
in one of our main objectives: strengthening and fostering the
relationships with upstream translation communities. I am also looking
forward to getting to know other communities new to me so far, such as
KDE and Xfce.

I speak Catalan, Spanish and German, so you can contact me in any of
those languages, although for general questions regarding Ubuntu
translations I would encourage you to use this list (in English), so
that discussions are open to all community members.

As Steve Langasek announced some days ago [5], time is tight for
Jaunty translations (the first deadline for non-langpacks being in a
week's time), but I'm sure we will manage to make this release the
best one in translations so far!

I would like to thank Adi, Evan, Gabor, Kenneth, Milo, Og, Ricardo,
Timo and all the other Ubuntu translators for their continued
commitment not only in translation but also in ironing out bugs and
actively improving the workflow. And not to forget the great work of
the Launchpad Translations developers and the Ubuntu Docs team. You
will certainly be an inspiration in this new role, and I'll be looking
forward to getting to know you if are coming to the next UDS in
Barcelona [6].

[1] http://www.jonobacon.org/2009/03/30/the-fourth-horseman-steps-forward/
[2] http://davidplanella.wordpress.com
[3] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuCatalanTranslators