Help needed for start page

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Thu Oct 30 11:00:03 UTC 2008

Hello all, thanks a bunch for helping me out with the translations.

I'm trying to incorporate all of your changes now before release. I'm
looking into the problem of the odd html entities.

Regarding about half the issues including the "search" button, I'm
sorry for this oversight, I'm not sure yet how to correct this but we
will get it corrected. After release things slow down dramatically and
I'll actually have time to learn how this po2html works. A fellow
community member graciously helped me set it up and he and I both
missed the search button. But because he did the work I've still not
figured out how the .pot files and html2po work. It's just a magical
black box to me.

Also, regarding the few comments for translated resources, this is not
going to be fixed soon unfortunately. I'd like to point out that I
believe we've implemented one main improvement, the search results
page should be localized. Now that we have infrastructure in place for
translating I think we can do a better job for the next version of
this page.

Also, during this release cycle (for Jaunty) it is my goal to make it
easier for people visiting ubuntu.com to find localized resources.
Translating the website is too big a task and largely unecessary I
think so instead we'll create a few localized pages referring people
to a loco site and other resources. I will be planning this feature in
November and December with the Web Presence Team. More details to
follow.

I'm happy to drop in translated html files like hito attached, however
this is a band-aid solution that prevents me from running the localize
script. I need to get a real solution to that ultimately.

All of this to say, I'm still working on it. I do greatly appreciate
your help and am hoping that with each new release we get
improvements. I think the main feature of the page is the search and
having that localized is an improvement.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode