renaming ubuntu-translators to launchpad-translators

Danilo Šegan danilo at canonical.com
Mon Oct 27 10:28:13 UTC 2008

Hi Adi,

У нед, 26. 10 2008. у 09:48 +0200, Adi Roiban пише:

> As the coordinator of Romanian Ubuntu Localization I am happy to see the
> team growing and team members start working at translating the Ubuntu
> distribution but also other non-Ubuntu related projects from Launchpad.
>
> My goal for the Romanian Ubuntu Localization team is to build it as a
> group of people with good localization skils and any new or existent
> project from Launchpad (or from somewhere else) will trust it's member
> and rest assured that their project localization for Romanian on good
> hands.

It's a very noble goal :)

> Even thou we are not translating only Ubuntu the Romanian team has
> Ubuntu in it's name and in some cases this stop people from joining the
> team of doing localizations for other projects.
>
> My sugestion is to rename the ubuntu-l10n-ro team to launchpad-l10n-ro
> or any other generic name.

There are different ways to achieve this.  For example, you may create a
launchpad-l10n-ro team and include ubuntu-l10n-ro team in it, with
direct memberships only to those not interested in working on Ubuntu.

So, you'd basically have

  launchpad-l10n-ro: Romanian Translation Team
    - ubuntu-l10n-ro: Ubuntu translators
    - someone else 1
    - someone else 2

> Also if for example (just hypothetical) Fedora Project would like to
> translate Fedora distribution using Launchpad (when it will be free
> software) I doubt they will be happy to assign the localization to
> Ubuntu Translators groups but maybe they are ok with assigning to
> Launchpad Translators.

Actually, they are likely to want to have their own fedora-l10n-ro which
you might want to include in launchpad-l10n-ro instead.  At least in my
opinion.

> I see this change in naming as a sign that we are not a group of
> separatists willing to translate any Ubuntu package into our languages
> but we are an open group interested in translating any project using
> Rosetta.

That's true. But, I feel there is nothing wrong with this, as long as
the Ubuntu translator groups has enough credibility.

And actually, if we want to go with creating actually trusted Launchpad
translation groups, we should do it separately from Ubuntu. In general,
they would include Ubuntu translation groups, but not always.  They
could also include teams of eg. upstream GNOME translators, and similar.

> I see this change as a mandatory one by the time Launchpad will be a
> free software project.

There is a lot of sense in organizing Launchpad translations groups.
However, I believe this is orthogonal to Ubuntu translation effort and
their organization.  I.e. we still want to have them as separate teams,
if only because of being able to separate who's involved in Ubuntu and
who isn't.

> I like Launchpad because people work together in the same place, the
> bugs and translations can be shared between projects. If we will have a
> Launchpad instance for each project then Launchpad will be no longer
> useful.

Yeah, but teams can be included as subteams inside other teams, and I
believe we should make use of this flexibility.

> Having strong and active localizations team, willing to translate not
> only Ubuntu but any other package will be a good reason for people to
> register their project on Launchpad.
>
> What do you think?

I agree.  So, what do you think about having Launchpad team which was
separate from Ubuntu teams, but could, of course, include Ubuntu
translators as well?

And considering how much you've been helping with Translations for a
while already (thanks!), I am wondering if you'd be willing to help run
that team? (it's all only discussion right now, but I find it an
appealing idea)

Cheers,
Danilo