Localisation of Ubuntu in Piedmontese language

David Planella david.planella at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 19 14:53:58 UTC 2008

Bèrto,

I lack the linguistic knowledge of the relationship between
Piedmontese and Italian, but on the technical side I will simply point
out that when political issues arose with regards to the relationship
between the Catalan language and its Valencian dialect, the solution
adopted was to change the general denomination from Catalan to
Catalan-Valencian and define a new locale in the form
ca_ES.UTF-8 at valencia.

That is, we have got the ca_ES.UTF-8 (and its variants depending on
which land it is spoken: ca_FR, ca_IT, ca_AD) and
ca_ES.UTF-8 at valencia, which speakers of the dialect can choose if they
like. We only translate the Catalan language, and the @valencia
dialect translation is done via script. That said, the @valencia is
relatively new, and you will see that for example in the GNOME project
[1], although defined, there are not many translations for this
dialect yet.

I must repeat though, that we were forced to do that due to
«political» rather than linguistic reasons, and that I do not know
whether this applies to your language. I am only mentioning this in
case it can be of any help. In addition of Ubuntu, the people at
Debian might be able to help as well.

Regards,
David.

[1] http://l10n.gnome.org/languages/ca@valencia/gnome-2-24