Reminders: 1. UI freeze == string freeze, notifications needed for translators. 2. please remember i18n.

Scott James Remnant scott at canonical.com
Fri Mar 7 17:36:24 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 19:28 +0200, Timo Jyrinki wrote:

> 2008/3/7, Scott James Remnant <scott at canonical.com>:
> > Package maintainers are no more in the light than the translators, all
> >  the package maintainer is doing is packaging a new upstream version and
> >  uploading it.
>
> The wider subject is an interesting one any maybe something that
> should be part of some tool - telling "stringinterdiff" between
> releases.
>
> Anyway, I'm most interested in the ubuntu-specific packages, where the
> maintainers are also the developers - they should note whenever they
> change any text in the program during UIFreeze. Also the program UI
> should of course be ready by that time. If eg. GNOME application has
> strings changed during their own string freeze, package maintainer
> cannot be excepted to always notice that. But when a new upstream
> version of some user-visible main-repository program is put in, like
> network-manager-applet, I think it should be part of the process
> during UI freeze to notify translators since it's almost certain have
> changed.

I would rather we got rid of UI Freeze altogether.

Either we should freeze such things at Feature Freeze, with
notifications of any upload that might change things (as per the FF
policy anyway) -- or we should freeze such things at Beta Freeze and
require explicit review.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant