Reminders: 1. UI freeze == string freeze, notifications needed for translators. 2. please remember i18n.

Scott James Remnant scott at canonical.com
Fri Mar 7 15:33:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 15:27 +0000, Matthew East wrote:

> Hi Scott
>
> On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Scott James Remnant <scott at canonical.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 15:39 +0200, Timo Jyrinki wrote:
> >
> > > I'm generally more interested in getting stuff done that following
> > > processes that tightly, but for Ubuntu localization to succeed (one
> > > thing in the core of Ubuntu philosophy) at the very least
> > > notifications about changed/new strings are needed to be sent to
> > > ubuntu-translators mailing list.
> > >
> > Could you describe how package maintainers can identify changed or new
> > strings, and how they can find out who/where to notify?
>
> I think the first part of that question is quite unfair - translators
> or documenters are not in as good a position to show how to identify
> the change in a string as package maintainers are, who are the people
> actually making the changes to the strings. Tell me if I've
> misunderstood the question, but changing a user visible string strikes
> me as being something that can only be done intentionally.

Package maintainers are no more in the light than the translators, all
the package maintainer is doing is packaging a new upstream version and
uploading it.

> As for where to notify, the procedure is relatively clearly described
> at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FreezeExceptionProcess
>
> In fact, according to the process set out there, it shouldn't be
> possible to do an upload without doing the notification, because the
> bug report in which the freeze exception request is made is required
> to contain a link to the notification in the archive of the -doc and
> -translators mailing list. I don't know to what extent that process is
> actually enforced though.

Both of the packages referred to, I believe, are part of a standard
freeze exception -- as is the entire GNOME desktop.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott at canonical.com