Gutsy translations now open!

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 12 17:55:58 BST 2007

On Tue, June 12, 2007 5:36 pm, Danilo Å egan wrote:
> Today at 15:36, Matthew East wrote:

>> Is there sufficient protection in place to ensure that Ubuntu isn't
>> going
>> to deviate from upstream as a result of this early opening for
>> translations in Rosetta?
>
> Not entirely, but we are going in the right direction, step at a time:
> 1.1.6 release (due at the end of June) is going to have filter on the
> translate page to detect messages changed from the upstream, so
> they'll be easy (or at least easier) to revert.  Also, we'll put more
> emphasis on the string which is coming from the package (which is
> usually the same thing as upstream, but not always).

I really think it would have been worth having all this sorted out before
opening translations early... it turns what might otherwise be quite an
exciting announcement into a bit of a red herring.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. One more concrete question - should Ubuntu
translators be uploading translations from upstream repositories to Ubuntu
templates as they have been for previous releases in order to ensure
homogeneous translations between upstream and Ubuntu, or should they avoid
working on particular upstream projects which have ongoing translation
efforts until later in the release cycle?

Matt
--
http://www.mdke.org
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF