Gutsy translations now open!

Jannick Kuhr jakuhr-linux at gmx.de
Tue Jun 12 15:36:49 UTC 2007

Am Dienstag, 12. Juni 2007 schrieb Claude Paroz:
> Le mardi 12 juin 2007 à 14:36 +0100, Matthew East a écrit :
> > Good news. Can I just ask for clarification about the current workflow
> > between Ubuntu and upstream: presumably although translations are now
> > open for Ubuntu, not all upstream translations have been imported, and
> > significant quantities of translations (for example for Gnome) will be
> > coming down from upstream later in the release cycle.
> >
> > Is there sufficient protection in place to ensure that Ubuntu isn't going
> > to deviate from upstream as a result of this early opening for
> > translations in Rosetta?
>
> Thanks Matt for raising this issue. That's exactly been my reaction
> while reading this "good" news.
>
> I don't know if this is really a good idea, as GNOME didn't even enter
> string freeze...
>
> Please, team leaders, warn your translators not to touche GNOME (and
> possibly KDE) strings, at least until GNOME 2.20 is out !

Hello,

I have exactly the same doubts regarding this issue. Probably it would be the
best to lock KDE and Gnome translations for the first months.

It is a VERY bad idea to import beta versions of programs to Rosetta. Please
lock this apps until the upstream translation process is finished!

I am working for the german KDE translation team on the translation of
KTorrent. Now I had to see that a beta version of this app has been imported
to Rosetta with a lot of untranslated stings. This will result in a fork of
the translation and lost efforts on both sides. It makes me a little bit sad
to see that a reasonable cooperation and coordination between upstream and
Ubuntu still does not exist.

Kind regards,

Jannick Kuhr
[member of the german KDE and Ubuntu translation teams]