Gutsy translations now open!

Matthew Revell matthew.revell at canonical.com
Tue Jun 12 13:30:29 UTC 2007

Hello,

We've got three pieces of excellent news about Ubuntu translations in
Launchpad:

1. Gutsy translations are now open.
2. The official repositories will feature daily language pack updates.
3. Translations for future Ubuntu releases will open early.

You can start work on Gutsy translations straight away at:

https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/gutsy/+translations

Daily language pack updates
----------------------------

Throughout Gutsy's development, the Ubuntu team aims to provide daily
language pack updates through the official repositories. Gutsy users
will receive these daily updates as standard.

Daily updates will be a great way for Ubuntu translators to see their
work in place almost straight away. Once Gutsy is released as Ubuntu
7.10, its official language pack updates will be sent once a month.

Opening translations early in the release cycle

Starting with Gutsy, we will open translations for each Ubuntu release
as soon as the Ubuntu distro team is ready.

In the past, we had to take Launchpad offline in order to import the
translation files for each new Ubuntu release. Finding a suitable time
to take Launchpad offline led to a delay in opening the translations.
Thanks to some great work from the Translations team, we can now import
translation files without taking Launchpad offline.

This is fantastic news for everyone working on Ubuntu translations!

If you have any comments, suggestions or questions please email me
directly or join us on the launchpad-users mailing list:

Matthew Revell - talk to me about Launchpad
Join us in #launchpad on irc.freenode.net