Help Regarding Installer L18N

Sunjae Park darehanl at
Fri Sep 29 15:35:29 BST 2006

2006/9/29, Tahir Abdul Rauf Butt <linux_kernel_worm at>:
> hi,
>     We are working to translate the debian installer in Urdu
> Language.Please address our queries if you can.
>   1) How and where to get the Source code of installer such that we
> could translate the pot file, and compile the installer to get the working
> system so that i could install Specific Ubuntu  from this installer.

Well, I'm not sure how you can compile the (Ubuntu) installer but you
can get an anonymous svn checkout of the (debian) installer at

   svn co svn:// debian-installer

If you want to translate Debian-installer (aka d-i), I suggest you
take a look at the installer i18n documentation
<>. Many Ubuntu specific strings
have been integrated into d-i; I suggest that you translate d-i
through Debian directly.

>   2) How should we test our translations for the installer, For example
> if we have translated some strings of the installer, how should we test
> it.

This I have no knowledge of. As I said before, I don't know how to get
the installer built. But if you are willing to translate the installer
through Debian, then you are under the mercy of the d-i developers:-)