Ubuntu 6.10 "Edgy" now available for translation

Jordi Mallach jordi at canonical.com
Fri Sep 1 17:32:13 UTC 2006

The Rosetta team is glad to announce the opening of the Ubuntu 6.10
"Edgy" translation process.

Rosetta is the translation system in Launchpad, providing easy
translation for Ubuntu and many other projects.

You should now be able to see your team's overall status and the list of
applications which need to be worked on for your language in
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/edgy/+lang/fr (substitute fr with
your language code).

There are a few new Rosetta features being introduced with the Edgy
release that we're happy to promote:

  * Starting with the Edgy release, Rosetta will be able to export
    native OpenOffice.org GSI packs using the translations from our
    database.
  * Similarly, support for Firefox language extensions will be rolled
    out.
  * A translation review mode will be added, which we hope will
    be the first measure to help improving the quality of our
    translations.

You can have a peek at the other goodies we plan on having at the
Rosetta 1.0 features list:
https://features.launchpad.net/products/rosetta/1.0/+specs

There are a small number of translation templates which may have not yet
been imported to Rosetta, due to bugs in the tarballs, being brand new
additions to Ubuntu, or gettext domain renames. We're working on this at
the moment and expect to have everything in place during the next few
days.

For those interested, we're considering a final Dapper -> Edgy
translations migration for those who have been working until late on
Dapper and have some strings which missed the first one. Next week we'll
know if we're able to do it, once we resolve some technical issues
involved.

Have in mind that Rosetta is still accepting Ubuntu 6.06 "Dapper"
translations, and will until it reaches its End Of Life in nearly five
years from now. This means that translation teams can continue improving
and extending Dapper translations as needed. Dapper receives language
pack updates the first Monday of the month.

Please let us know about any problems you encounter while working on
Edgy.

Thanks for the patience, and happy translating!

The Rosetta team
--
Jordi Mallach PĂ©rez  --  Debian developer     http://www.debian.org/
jordi at sindominio.net     jordi at debian.org     http://www.sindominio.net/