Serious problems with missing translations!

Ming Hua minghua-list at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 15 01:43:12 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 12:29:13AM +0100, Erdal Ronahi wrote:

> > Yes, they have precedence, as they are another kind of "user uploads".
>
> Yes, but this IS a problem. Imagine this scenario:
>
> All Gnome packages are in GNOME, but a team does not use Rosetta as an
> official tool. The team frequently updates the upstream translations.
> These translations are not reflected in Rosetta.
>
> At the same time other people translate using Rosetta. They are
> newbies, playing around, have no contact with the official team, do
> not adhere to standards. The official team does not even know of them.
>
> What appears in Ubuntu will be the translations of the second group!
> Not quite what we want, eh?

Thank you for raising this issue.  I noticed similar things happening
for the debian-installer (Ubuntu's text-based installer is based on d-i)
components' simplified Chinese (zh_CN) translation.

The zh_CN d-i translation team worked hard to keep d-i 100% translated,
but as we work on the SVN repo on Debian Alioth, not all translation
submitted are uploaded immediately, and some of them have a quite long
delay (months).  So when I looked at the d-i components packages in
Rosetta, quite a few of them has local translations which are already
translated by Debian d-i team, and there are some conflicts as well
(perhaps due to sync with debian after the Rosetta members made the
translation).

Ming
2006.03.14