What happens to translations when upstream is brought in

Carlos Perelló Marín carlos.perello at canonical.com
Wed Aug 16 13:13:10 UTC 2006

El vie, 04-08-2006 a las 14:43 -0400, Og Maciel escribió:
> Hi all,

Hi

> I apologize for cross-posting but I figured I could get more results
> (or more people interested/feedback) this way, since the subject
> should be of interest to all.
>
> I have noticed that whenever translations are brought in from
> upstream, and more especificaly from OO2, our translations entered
> through Rosetta get marked as "needs revision."  I have revised pretty
> much the same OO2 packages at least 3-4 times this last week alone,
> basically redoing the same steps, over and over.

As far as I know our imports doesn't work that way. In fact, OO.org
imports take a couple of days so it's a bit difficult that the imports
set the flags because I doubt we get more than one upload for
OpenOffice.org in one week (dapper is already stable), perhaps there
were an error and we could get two uploads in a week, but 3 or 4...
doesn't sounds reasonable...

It could be a bug in our side, of course, but I'm not quite sure whether
it's related with upstream updates. First of all, could you check with
all people in your translation team that no one is doing that manually?

Unfortunately, we only track translation changes, but the 'Needs review'
flag changes is not tracked.

> The real question of this email is:  what really happens to our
> translations once upstream POs are brought into Rosetta?

Short answer:

Any untranslated string in Rosetta that is translated upstream is set to
the translated value in upstream, the others are not touched at all.

Long answer:

Jordi, please, could you add a long answer to our wiki faq? there are a
lot of people asking for details about it.

> Cheers,

Cheers.

--
Carlos Perelló Marín