Opinions on hosting translated documentation

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 11 12:23:58 BST 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 12:25 +0000, R.A. wrote:

> During the breezy cycle the translation of documentation suffered from some
> translation problems that were corrected a posteriori after the release. Some
> of them a little serious. Many factors contributed to this. I think the main
> one is that not all the translators are aware or want to generate the final
> document in HTML or PDF and reread what was translated and how that fits in the
> rest of the document. Therefore, to maximize the quality of translations, I
> have the following suggestions:
>
> - a few days before the translation freeze for ubuntu-doc, generate all the
> drafts of translated documents in HTML and PDF and put them in the localized
> version of the website where they will be accessed after the release.
> Alternatively, do this periodically during the cycle.

Yes, we will certainly do this. We're much better organised this time
around, don't worry.

> - if you are going to include in the website breezy documentation, use the last
> PO's available in Rosetta and not the ones shipped with the latest ubuntu-docs
> (at least, for the Portuguese team, many corrections were done meanwhile).

I don't think that we will have time to build localised documentation
websites for Breezy, the English documentation will remain on the site,
but only the Dapper documentation will be localised.

If we do have time, I'm afraid that I think it is better to use the same
translations as available with the package in Breezy: I don't
particularly like the idea of the website being out of sync with the
operating system. I suppose if I have a lot of spare time I could make
an updated Breezy package with new translations, but I did one in
December and I don't know how much translations have changed since then.

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF