Is Rosetta working?

Carlos Perelló Marín carlos.perello at canonical.com
Thu Mar 10 18:07:03 UTC 2005

Santiago Erquicia wrote:
> Hi,

Hi

> I was trying to update synaptic through Rosetta but everytime I try to
> save a change it says that there was an system error.  Is Rosetta
> working?

unfortunately, we had a problem this week that made Rosetta unusable.

Most of those problems should be fixed already, and in a couple of days,
the PO upload feature will be working again.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

> BTW, is Rosetta the way to translate things or should we focus on
> translating it upstream?  How often do ubuntu update translations from
> Rosetta?

Well, usually, the current translations at Rosetta should be sent to
upstream using the po export option because we don't send them
automatically.

There are some upstream maintainers that are using Rosetta directly like
bazaar, pmount and synaptic, the maintainers get the translations
directly from Rosetta, so you don't need to care about it. If you have
any doubt, please ask upstream if you need to send or not directly the
translations.

For Ubuntu, we are going to import soon all packages soon and we will
get the translations automatically inside Ubuntu so you translate and we
will care about its Ubuntu integration. If you want your translations
are reused upstream you still will need to send them directly.

We are looking into a way to do this automatically in the future, but
it's a non trivial task so we don't have a concrete date for it.

> Santiago

Cheers.

P.S.: Please, send any other Rosetta doubt or bug report you could have
to the rosetta's mailing list at rosetta-users at lists.ubuntu.com