Quality Assurance for the PPA

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Wed Oct 27 17:54:47 BST 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Luke Faraone <luke at faraone.cc> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been hearing from a few people that recent updates in the PPA may
> have caused problems for users.

Yes, that is 100 percent correct.  Universe is for users. (It might
not be the latest a greatest/ but at least it aiming for stability).
We pointed users to the PPA last release because there was nothing
more stable available.)

> I personally think we should, once we have more people who are part of
> the Ubuntu Sugar Package set (~ubuntu-sugar-uploaders), point people to
> a PPA in that restricted team, and upload to an "unstable" PPA
> maintained by ~sugarteam.
>
> In the interim, I'd prefer if we'd create a separate PPA for direct
> uploads, and have new uploads go there. We can then test them and
> collect feedback, copying over the packages to the main PPA (which has a
> lot of users) when we're verified that the packages won't cause problems.
>
> When possible, we should avoid using the PPA in general. It is
> preferable to do SRUs and backports to stable releases through official
> Ubuntu channels unless we *have* to ship something in the PPA. (Browse,
> for example)
>
> Does this make sense?

Yes, I apologize that I did not think of it whe I suggested that
Dipankar and Neeraj do some tests in the PPA.  They are learning how
to properly remove.88 while update to .90.

david