Need Help With Ubuntu Sugar Remix

Scott Boyan scott.boyan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 14:45:48 BST 2010

Thanks for the invitation to share my problem, Manu.

I am running Ubuntu Sugar Remix.  I boot right into it, it is not
running in a virtual machine.  I think the Sugar is 0.88 and the
Ubuntu is 10.10 and I have used the Sugar interface to update the
software.

I have several activities that I'd like to use and when I boot them
up, I get a "Failed to Start" message.  This happens on many
activities (TamTamJam, Etoys, Flipsticks, etc.) but not on all
activities (for example, Pippy, Turtle, Physics, Surf, and several
others start fine.

Just focusing on one at a time, here is the log specifically for TamTamJam:

** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (HippoCanvasBox)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/sugar-activity", line 21, in <module>
    main.main()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/sugar/activity/main.py", line
117, in main
    module = __import__(module_name)
  File "/home/scott/Activities/TamTamJam.activity/TamTamJam.py", line
13, in <module>
    from   common.Util.CSoundClient import new_csound_client
  File "/home/scott/Activities/TamTamJam.activity/common/Util/CSoundClient.py",
line 10, in <module>
    from common.Util.Clooper import *
  File "/home/scott/Activities/TamTamJam.activity/common/Util/Clooper/__init__.py",
line 21, in <module>
    raise('cannot find proper binary blobs')
TypeError: exceptions must be old-style classes or derived from
BaseException, not str
Exited with status 1, pid 1712 data (None, <open file '<fdopen>', mode
'w' at 0x9f41910>, '1d054452ab07de354bf5949f6755faa82d0ec4d7')
TamT

Do you have any idea what I can do to fix this problem?  I really like
Sugar and I'd like to be able to use many of these malfunctioning
activities with my kids.

Thank you very much for any assistance you might have, even if it is
just a suggestion for where else to look.

Sincerely,

Scott Boyan