Testing of Sugar on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Without PPA)

Luke Faraone luke at faraone.cc
Tue Jun 22 23:46:41 BST 2010

Hi,

I did some testing today in a VM of the Sugar experience in a default
Ubuntu setup. I believe that is useful to understand where we stand
today so we can decide the components that need the most urgent attention.

I acknowledge that this is not the preferred way to use Sugar on Ubuntu,
but it is probably the one that will be tried first by most
opportunistic users, and we want to have something minimally functional
in this version.

== Setup ==

I used a Lucid virtual machine to conduct my tests.

In order to have a working environment, I enabled Ubuntu's Proposed[1]
updates and installed the proposed versions of GDM and sugar-0.88 to
work around (LP: #542338).

The list of installed packages is available in pastebin[2].

== Activity availability ==

I installed all installable sugar-*-activity* packages. Only three
showed up in Sugar:
 * Read
 * Terminal
 * Turtle Art
 * Pippy

... and of those only Terminal and Pippy started.

=== Read ===

Read crashed with the following:
{{{
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/sugar-activity", line 21, in <module>
    main.main()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/sugar/activity/main.py", line
146, in main
    create_activity_instance(activity_constructor, activity_handle)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/sugar/activity/main.py", line
35, in create_activity_instance
    activity = constructor(handle)
  File "/usr/share/sugar/activities/Read.activity/readactivity.py", line
99, in __init__
    evince.evince_embed_init()
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'evince_embed_init'
Activity died: pid 1280 condition 256 data (None, <open file '<fdopen>',
mode 'w' at 0x210af60>)
}}}

TurtleArt crashed with the following:
{{{
/usr/share/sugar/activities/TurtleArt.activity/TurtleArtActivity.py:166:
SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
  class ProjectToolbar(gtk.Toolbar):
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/sugar-activity", line 21, in <module>
    main.main()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/sugar/activity/main.py", line
111, in main
    module = __import__(module_name)
  File
"/usr/share/sugar/activities/TurtleArt.activity/TurtleArtActivity.py",
line 21, in <module>
    import tawindow
  File "/usr/share/sugar/activities/TurtleArt.activity/tawindow.py",
line 34, in <module>
    from talogo import *
  File "/usr/share/sugar/activities/TurtleArt.activity/talogo.py", line
27, in <module>
    from numpy.oldnumeric import *
ImportError: No module named numpy.oldnumeric
Activity died: pid 1279 condition 256 data (None, <open file '<fdopen>',
mode 'w' at 0x210af60>)
}}}

== Installation problems ==

The following activities were uninstallable:
{{{
sugar-calculate-activity:
 Depends: python-sugar-0.84  but it is not installable or
 	python-sugar-0.86  but it is not installable
 Depends: python-sugar-toolkit-0.84  but it is not installable or
 	python-sugar-toolkit-0.86  but it is not installable
 Depends: sugar-presence-service-0.84  but it is not installable or
 	sugar-presence-service-0.86  but it is not installable

sugar-chat-activity-0.86:
 Depends: python-sugar-0.86  but it is not installable
 Depends: python-sugar-toolkit-0.86  but it is not installable
 Recommends: sugar-0.86  but it is not installable

sugar-read-activity-0.86:
 Depends: python-sugar-toolkit-0.86  but it is not installable
}}}

== Functionality problems ==

I did not encounter any issues in the functionality of applications
which started.

== Conclusion ==

As we already know, OOTB Sugar on Ubuntu is not in any way usable or
suitable for deployment. I will follow up with testing of the PPA
packages, and will file bug reports on the above and other issues
encountered.

[1]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed
[2]: http://paste.ubuntu.com/453634/

- --