ubuntu-sugar-remix.iso preliminary testing results

David Farning dfarning at ubuntu.com
Sun Jan 3 03:15:11 GMT 2010

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Thomas C Gilliard
<satellit at bendbroadband.com> wrote:

>> From:  <dfarning at ubuntu.com>
>> Date: Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 19:28
>> Subject: Ubuntu-Sugar-Remix weekly Status: 10.04-alpha1 release
>> To: Ubuntu SugarTeam <ubuntu-sugarteam at lists.ubuntu.com>
>>

>> Hey all,
>>
>> I am a couple of day ahead of schedule on the 10.04-alpha1 release of
>> Ubuntu-Sugar-Remix. The release can be downloaded from
>> http://people.sugarlabs.org/dfarning/ and copied to a usb memory stick
>> using standard iso tools.
>>

> First preliminary testing results:
>
> I used the .iso with VMWorstation6.5.2
> installed to 4GB Virtual disk:
> VMworkstation recognized Ubuntu and installed easily on EeePC1000HE running
> Ubuntu 9.10
> came up to graphical gdm log-in with x-term and sugar as selections. Chose
> sugar and logged in.
> results:
> 1-) No plymouth
> 2-) Browse was not installed
> 3-) F1 Neighborhood showed others on Jabber correctly
> 4-) I could not get log out or shutdown to work from F1,F3 or Frame

Thanks, I am filing bugs for these issues.

> This is a great addition.
> (I previously have installed sugar using alsroot's ppa method on Ubuntu
> 9.10)
>
> Thanks for this easy install.

Something else that you might be interested in is live helper at
http://live.debian.net/manual/ .  Live helper is a set of tools to
standardize and automate creating live CDs and USBs.  They are doing
some interesting work using grub and normal filesystems rather than
casper and the squashfs and usb base memory devices.  I did not have
luck getting it to work yet in lucid, but it looks promising.

david