Debug please

David Robert Lewis ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Fri Jul 3 15:35:58 BST 2009

Luke Faraone wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 09:54, David Robert Lewis
> <ethnopunk at telkomsa.net <mailto:ethnopunk at telkomsa.net>> wrote:
>
>     I can start internet via terminal using pon dsl-provider but the
>     browser doesn't seem to work or "mesh", I go into the network
>     control panel by right-clicking on the user icon, is there
>     something I need to add or edit?  The session froze for a while
>     when I was in the network settings, and banging on the keyboard
>     eventually got the session back.
>

> Mesh will not function, as you lack a 802.11s wireless card. (these
> are typically not sold to consumers)
>
> Are you able to ping the outside world (ie. google.com
> <http://google.com> or 4.2.2.3) from the terminal, but not access it
> via Browse? Please see this post
> <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=25557> for more info.

Yes, I can ping, and event lynx, but browse is not working. It just
flashes and hangs waiting for something to tell it what to do. My guess
is it needs to be told where the pipe is.

>     Yes, of course, sound is perfect in Ubuntu Gnome which runs
>     pulseaudio. Do I need a deamon or something?
>

> *daemon. No idea why that isn't working for you.
Which sound system does Sugar use?

>     The activity called journal, what is it supposed to do? Can I
>     search my harddrive with it?
>

> Heh, it's working properly. The Journal is supposed to keep a record
> of what you do using Sugar. When you open up a document in Write, for
> example, and put someting in it, you are not prompted to save it to a
> directory. Rather, the Activity stores the document in the Journal,
> where it can be later retrieved. Please see the Journal OLPC wikipage
> <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Journal> for a detailed explanation, and
> the HIG <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/HIG> for an explanation of the
> Sugar UI guidelines.

Okay, I guess its just confusion of terms. Could be called Locker, or
Roster, Journal is what you do if you're a journalist.

>     I find the stop activity button no problem, it was the logout I
>     was looking for.
>
> Odd, it should be displayed, per http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/207.
> Do you use GDM as your session manager?

Using GDM, yes.
> If you need to, as a workaround you can kill your session with
> ALT+SysReq+K, but that will immediately terminate all applications
> running in that X Session.

SysReq???

--
888          8 8