[Sugar-devel] Naming of "sugar", the Sugar Shell

Luke Faraone luke at faraone.cc
Tue Jan 27 20:20:42 GMT 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Wade Brainerd <wadetb at gmail.com> wrote:

> I for one will have a much easier time remembering what sugar-shell means,
> versus sugar-jarabe.
> Personally I can't stand all these meaningless names, I currently have to
> go look at the glossary each time I need to know which version of Sugar has
> the activities.
>
> At work I have often found that confusingly named packages tend to get
> adopted less easily than the sensibly named ones.

Understandable.

What I was planning to do (I've yet to consult with the other maintainers on
this) was to have "sugar" be a virtual package provided by "sugar-sucrose",
so all you'd need to do would be to "apt-get install sugar" to get a
fully-functioning sugar environment. It should be trivial to rename sugar to
sugar-shell in Debian.

--
Luke Faraone
http://luke.faraone.cc