Sugar-on-a-stick on a Dell Netbook 2100?

Caroline Meeks caroline at meekshome.com
Wed Dec 30 18:13:10 GMT 2009

Hi Bryant,

 Someone told me that the Broadcom drivers were in Fedora12 and Blueberry.
 However, the Fedora Blueberry version has a Fedora 12 bug in the way the
video acceleration is done.

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Bryant Patten <info at ncose.org> wrote:

> I am working with a small rural new england school with 24 new Dell
> 2100 netbooks.  I would like to use SoaS to expose them to Sugar.  My
> Strawberry SoaS works fine but my new Blueberry one doesn't appear to
> have the Broadcom wireless drivers needed by the 2100.  I assume this
> is because they are proprietary drivers.
>
> So - three questions:
>
> 1) Will there be a SoaS version that contains proprietary drivers?

Certainly not distributed through Sugar Labs based on current procedures.

> 2) If not, is there a resource someone can point me to that explains
> how to add them to my own SoaS iso

Good question for the Fedora based Sugar discussion group.

> 3) The 9.10 Ubuntu Netbook remix works like a charm on these 2100
> (wireless, hibernation, 'narc' light).  Any chance that a future SoaS
> version might be based on Ubuntu?

Yes, we need to work together to make this happen.  Sugar Labs will have to
decide whether or not its called SoaS or not.  We can also think about what
the best name for a stick that contains both the option for a standard
Ubuntu desktop and a Sugar desktop should be.  But lets get it working first
then we can ask the kids who use it for ideas.

> Thanks for all the hard work.  The kids in the school that have seen
> Sugar are very excited about it.  Now onto convincing the teachers.....
>
> Bryant Patten
> Executive Director
> The National Center for Open Source and Education

Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove
Caroline at SolutionGrove.com

617-500-3488 - Office