[sugar] Sugar on Ubuntu Intrepid broken

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 18:52:00 GMT 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 7:45 AM, Erik Blankinship <erikb at mediamods.com> wrote:
> Perhaps address how Activity authors might need to handle / work
> around the different distro specifics on one page, unless the goal is
> to have different activity releases per distro.

We think that most of the distro specifics are packaging problems,
specifically missing or incorrect dependencies. So they should be
reported to the distro concerned, except when, on investigation, some
deeper error surfaces. In this case, we have at least two dependency
problems.

o sugar.py or something like that didn't get installed
o sugar-datastore should have been removed automatically, and
python-olpc-datastore installed.

It is possible that correcting these errors will allow others to appear.

There is also an issue with etcinsvk, which does not configure
correctly, and keeps popping up to report its problem during other
installs that modify anything in the /etc directory.

The next question is the workaround for each of these problems. If I
can find out where sugar.py should go, and can get a copy, I can
possibly get Sugar running. The datastores can be dealt with manually
using the normal apt mechanism. The etcinsvk problem is fixed for
Jaunty, and the bug asks for somebody to backport it.

> On 11/27/08, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think the distro-specific issues should be delegated to the
>> individual distro pages. The Supported Systems page is a bit of a
>> tangle right now. Anyone have time to do a reorg?

+1

>> -walter
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 4:09 AM, Morgan Collett
>> <morgan.collett at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I agree. I'm not sure where such a page should go - on the supported
>>> systems page? On the page for each distro?
>>>
>>> The plan for Ubuntu is that you should log bugs in the Ubuntu
>>> bugtracker, https://launchpad.net - for example,
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sugar for Sugar itself.
>>> Please log your issue there so we can track it.

>>> That is a known issue which still needs fixing, ubuntu-sugarteam...
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Morgan
>>>

>> --
>> Walter Bender