Deciding whether a bug is in Ubuntu-Sugar or Sugar

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 07:45:56 GMT 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 23:35, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> Simon,
> I have been reading and appreciate your bug reports.  Strange as it
> sounds, Sugar Labs, just set up a bug tracker a few days ago.  It is
> going to take a while until we get the upstream, downstream issues
> sorted out.
>
> For my part I am thinking if you use Ubuntu, report it to Ubuntu. The
> SugarTeam can push it upstream as necessary.  Launch Pad has a good
> system for pushing and tracking upstream bugs.

Yes, I agree that is the best way. Some bugs will be due to us not
having the absolute latest version of a Sugar component, or due to
other differences between the OLPC XO environment (which is reasonably
well tested) and Sugar on Ubuntu (which hasn't been well tested) - so
might not be Sugar's fault explicitly.

I am an upstream developer so I have a good idea what to push
upstream. Unfortunately there isn't much scope for maintaining the
existing upstream "stable" branch of Sugar (0.82.x) because the
development team is so small, so most issues will be fixed in the next
Sugar release cycle which we will get into the next release of Ubuntu
- but issues which are either low risk or high priority and have
solutions can be considered for a Stable Release Update in Ubuntu as a
patch to the existing package(s).

Regards
Morgan