sugarteam first steps.

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 11:49:22 BST 2008

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 19:28, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 19:54 +0300, Jani Monoses wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I will be mostly offline in the next couple of weeks.
>>
>> Regarding packaging I have not seen what Debian's status is.
>> It is most effective to start pushing the current packages in  the
>> sugarteam PPA (copy over those from sugar PPA
>> as well) and go on working without blocking on someone who pushes them
>> to universe.
>> That should happen too eventually, I may find the time. But ideally it
>> woul donlyt be sync request and all coming
>> from Debian.
>>
>> Jani
>
> Morgs,
>
> Is this something that you would be able to work on.  PPAs are new to
> me.  I am going to have to do some studying before I can become useful
> wrt PPAs.

I will work on this. Learning packaging is something I still haven't
crossed off my TODO list, but it's a high priority for me.

> I think we need to copy the Sugar related PPAs from
>    https://launchpad.net/~jani/+archive
> and
>    https://launchpad.net/~sugar/+archive
> to SugarTeam.

That would be a start. I'll look at James's PPA as well.

> I also see https://launchpad.net/~sugar-ppa-devel is there useful
> content in that teamspace or should we merge it with Sugarteam to avoid
> confusion.

I created that with the intention of always tracking the latest
"unstable" developer releases - which James has now been doing. We
have three needs, as I see things:
* Sugar 0.82.x release for intrepid
* Backported Sugar 0.82 stable release for Hardy - I don't think this
should be pushed into universe
* Latest development release for easier-than-jhbuild installation -
for now 0.81.x but continuing to track 0.83.x once the 0.84 roadmap
starts

I see the sugarteam PPA working on the first and the second, and the
sugar-ppa-devel PPA for the third (although they happen to be the same
at the moment). I'll keep the sugar-ppa-devel one dormant until it's
definitely needed. We can discuss a strategy then.

Regards
Morgan