[sugar] Sugar on Ubuntu Intrepid broken

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Dec 23 21:01:48 GMT 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 09:23:13AM -0800, Carol Farlow Lerche wrote:
>I would be happy to fetch packages from a "testing" repository such
>that I could be sure what aspects of the Ubuntu install were affected,

Such testing repository is available for Debian Sid (compiled for i386
and amd64) here:

deb http://debian.jones.dk/ sid sugar

Similarly for Debian Lenny here:

deb http://debian.jones.dk/ lenny sugar

In both cases the above line should be added to /etc/apt/sources.list.

>On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 9:03 AM, <simon at mungewell.org> wrote:

>> I too am eagily awaiting new Debian/Ubuntu packages, but it looks
>> like that is unlikely to happen until after Debian 'Lenny' is
>> released.

I cannot speak for Ubuntu, but the Debian packaging of Sugar software is
*not* dependent on the release of Lenny. Only the official inclusion of
packages with a stable Debian distribution release is affected by the
pace of Debian releases.

Anyone interested in helping out packaging Sugar software for Debian -
which then with little or no added effort can then be reused in derived
distributions like Ubuntu - is very welcome to join the Alioth team at
http://alioth.debian.org/projects/debian-olpc/

Anyone interested in backporting/sideporting like for Ubuntu or other
derivatives might find use of the scripts I use to create/maintain a
development chroots and compile packages. They are available using the
following command:

git clone git://source.jones.dk/bin

There are a bunch of scripts. It is mainly "localcowbuilder-create" and
"localcowdebuild" that might be useful.

  - Jonas

Actively packaging Sugar for Debian

- --